IT services require a strategy - regardless if they represent the internal infrastructure backbone of a company - or an independent service business serving the markets. First of all, IT strategy is based upon the directives of over-all corporate strategy. IT strategy has to contribute to all the strategic objectives provided by the over-all corporate strategy. On the other hand, IT strategy itself provides the fundamental framework for all operational decisions and plannings of the next 3 or 5 years, in particular
- building the potentials of a company´s IT competences, as a long-term offer addressed to internal user-customers inside the firm
- for creation and improvements of new services, business processes, and applications
- for basic and fundamental IT decisions
- for investment decisions and different long-term plannings.
IT strategy defines
- the strategic target position, i.e. where shall IT stand in 3 to 5 years from now ?
- the way towards this strategic position, i.e. how and by which measures shall IT reach this position ?
Within this context, the well-known questions of strategic management may be risen, however focusing on the specific requirements of corporate intelligence and IT technology managements, e.g.
- create a vision for strategic positions of IT
- identify and define success potentials of IT, due to be opened
- identify the relevant influencing factors (competition, technology, etc.)
- clarify potential future situational frameworks (szenarios)
- evaluate IT strengths and IT weaknesses
- evaluate opportunities and threats.
As a result, IT strategy will be defined operationally - including all the measures to be taken, with calendar and milestones, and with a quantification of strategic cost and revenues figures. The IIW Institute has developed a practice oriented Management Programme, that secures and supports corporate strategy with a professional IT strategy. Besides conceptual consulting, implementation support is also offered, e.g. by monitoring the milestones, or an IT strategy projects management.